This is one of my favorite, classic Arabic sauces. It’s delicious on so many things — from vegetables and salads, to poultry, meatballs and of course, falafels.
It’s very simple to make, too. With just five ingredients, you can create a healthy sauce to accompany many of your favourite dishes.
Classic Tahini Sauce
- 3 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2-4 tbsp Water, to thin Add as needed to adjust to your taste.
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt (optional) I personally prefer without it, but it does add a fluffiness that is so unique and delicious.
- Combine tahini and lemon juice in a bowl. Mix well. The acid in the lemon juice causes a tahini sauce to thicken up and become stiff and solid. This is normal.
- Add in salt and grated garlic. Mix together.
- Slowly add water to adjust the consistency to your liking. Start with 1 tbsp and add from there.
- Taste. Adjust salt and lemon juice to your taste as well.
- Serve with warm pita bread and vegetables.