Sesame Orange Chicken
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1-inch ginger, grated (or finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves, grated (or finely chopped)
- 1 orange, zest & juice
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce preferably organic & gluten-free
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar sweet brown rice vinegar works well here
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds (for serving)
- 1 cup white or brown rice
Prepare the chicken
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes. Add to a medium-sized bowl.
- Toss with flour and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce until evenly coated. Set aside.
Make the sauce
- Whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, orange zest, orange juice, hoisin, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes and toasted sesame oil. Set aside.
Cook the rice
- Follow instructions of your rice. Add a slice of butter to pot for extra taste.
Cook & serve
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add chicken and cook in one layer until nice and brown, flipping to cook both sides. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add in sauce and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium low and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes until sauce thickens. Stir occasionally to make sure chicken is well coated.
- Remove from heat. Stir in green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve on top of bed of rice. Sprinkle with more green onions & sesame seeds, if desired. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply